Sunday, July 12, 2009

Q&A by Vikas Swarup

When I decided to read Swarup's first novel about a young waiter in India, I was extremely excited. I just watched the movie Slumdog Millionaire and was interested to read the literary piece that inspired such a heart moving story.

The hero, a young man named Ram Mohammad Thomas, is arrested for winning a game show, where the producers of the show claimed he cheated. In order to prove his innocence, he is forced to recount his life story in order to reveal the answers to the trivia game.

The writing is clear and easy to follow through out the book. Even though, unlike the movie, the storyline jumps from one event to another, it still feels easy to follow.

I can't describe this story in any other way besides a depressing joy ride. Though I love the story, I couldn't stand the ending. Everything seems to happy for the rest of the story. It has a Disney ending... I can't say anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment